Glendale High School
John Obirek attended Sequiota, Pershing and Glendale during his time at Springfield Public Schools.
His freshman year at Glendale, he and his best friend decided to try out for the diving team. They both made the team and had to attend practice at the school pool at Central High. They would ride their bikes in the dark to Central to attend practice before school began every day. John became a very good diver and made it to state his sophomore year. He was the only sophomore to make state.
The summer before his junior year, he was killed in a motorcycle accident at Table Rock Lake. Close friends of our family came up with the idea of starting a scholarship fund to support future students and honor John’s memory.
In order to apply for the John Obirek Scholarship you must answer yes to the following questions:
1. Are you a senior at Glendale High School?
2. Are you planning to continue your education?
3. Are you active on the diving team?
4. Do you rank in the top 1/3 of your class?
5. Have you demonstrated good citizenship, leadership, dependability, initiative, perseverance and
seriousness of purpose?
6. Do you have a financial need for assistance?
If you answered no to any of these questions you are not eligible for this scholarship. If you answered
yes to each question you may proceed to the application.