- Project Cost: $988.70
- Funded to Date: $100
- Online Until: January 10, 2018
- Teacher Name: Nicole Parke
- School: Weller Elementary
- Grade Level: Literacy Coach
“We Want to Write!” is a project that would allow us to get the necessary supplies to teach Language and Writer’s Workshop. In the past we have had a budget for basic things like this, however, our budget has been drastically cut. This project would allow for us to purchase the needed journals for Kindergarten and 1st grade Writer’s Workshop as well as some quality mentor texts that teachers can use as we deepen our study of best practices through Language Workshop.
- Planned Use for Funds: We are needing quality mentor texts that can be used for Language Workshops across the grade levels. We would like to be able to provide some of the titles suggested in Lester Laminack’s book Writers are Readers. We need each grade level team to have access to the same titles. As we study the standards, best practices around Language Workshop, Writer’s Workshop, and critical thinking as well as data from the previous years, it is evident that we need to take our students deeper with their thinking. This is best done through the use of quality mentor texts that allow for students to have rich discussions about both story elements and structure. We are also needing to be able to purchase the proper journals to be used for Writer’s Workshop in both Kindergarten and 1st grade.
- Need Represented: The purchase of mentor texts and Kindergarten and 1st grade writing journals a need that will impact both teacher instruction and student performance.
- Academic Impact: These supplies will allow students to participate in the discussion and critical thinking around text that the Missouri Learning Standards require on a daily basis. The journals will be what students will use every day in Writer’s Workshop.
- Student Population: Weller is a high poverty, culturally diverse school with a free and reduced lunch rate of 86%. We are home to immigrants and refugee students from many different areas. At Weller we believe all children can learn; we challenge students to exceed beyond what they believe is possible. We do this by making learning engaging, relevant, and personal. Our environment is marked by PRIDE behavior, reflection, and a welcoming sense of community.
- Items in this Project:
Starfall Writing Journals (160): $126.40
Mead K-2 Primary Writing Journals (160): $270.40
“Twilight Comes Twice” by Ralph Fletcher (3): $45.39
“All the Place to Love” by Patricia MacLachlan (3): $42.66
“In November” by Cynthia Rylant (3): $17.82
“Animals Nobody Loves” by Seymour Simon (3): $17.01
“Homerun: The Story of Babe Ruth” by Robert Burleigh (3): $18.00
“Diary of a Spider” by Doreen Cronin (3): $17.37
“Locomotive” by Brian Floca (3): $37.77
“I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly” by Nadine Bernarad Westcott (3): $20.25
“Just a Second” by Steve Jenkins (3): $23.97
“Henry’s Freedom Box” by Ellen Levine (3): $48.57
“Mr. George Baker” by Amy Hest (3): $20.97
“Trevor’s Wiggly-Wobbly Tooth” by Lester Laminack (3): $23.85
“Baseball Saved Us” by Ken Mochizuki (3): $26.85
“Enemy Pie” by Derek Munson (3): $39.66
“Glem and Glow” (3): $19.47
“Helen’s Big World! The Life of Helen Keller” by Doreen Rappaport (3): $26.94
“Something Beautiful” by Sharon Wyeth (3): $23.91
“The Emperor’s Egg” by Martin Jenkins (3): $20.82
“Freedom Summer” by Deborah Wiles (3): $23.91
“When Jessie Came Across the Sea” by Amy Hest (3): $20.97
“Whistle for Willie” by Ezra Jack Keats (3): $19.57
“A Sick Day for Amos McGee” by Phillip Stead (3): $36.57