- Project Cost: $779.98
- Funded to Date: $0.00
- Online Until: April 13, 2018
- Teacher Name: Caitlin Hall
- School: Field Elementary
- Grade Level: Kindergarten
This project is created for a kindergarten classroom where we are trying to expand stem opportunities. This project is requesting materials that will provide new STEM activities and new math stations for the students to work on at their ability. To provide differentiated instruction the students participate in math stations and they need activities that can be completed independently but also show them that their work is correct. These math stations will provide that. Some of the stem activities are aligned with our storytelling unit. The activities give students a chance to have more hands on learning where they also have to design something.
- Planned Use for Funds: The Fairy Tales STEAM Kit aligns perfectly with our storytelling unit. In this unit we talk about different ways to tells stories. We talk a lot about fairy tales and how there are many different versions of the same story. This kit provides students an opportunity to use their STEM skills to build something that goes with each of the fairy tales. It also provides the books and puppets which will allow students to use their creativity when retelling the story. This kit works on literacy, language, stem, and cooperation skills. These funds will also provide a design and build engineering centers kit. Each morning I try to put out activities the students can build with. This will give the students new building challenges to keep them engaged throughout the year. Along with stem activities the funds will be used for some math stations. These math stations will allow students to be engaged and working independently or in groups while the teacher meets with small groups. The math activities include puzzles, learning locks, and a tiggly learner kit that is used with the ipads.
- Need Represented: The need to bring more STEM activities to the classroom is bigger and bigger. The students need opportunities to be pushed and to think in different ways. These activities allow students to use science, technology, engineering, and math skills. They also allow students to work together which works on communication and cooperation. These skills students are practicing will help prepare students for jobs they may have in the future.
- Academic Impact: This project will impact the students by providing different learning experiences. The students will be allowed to explore learning in a very hands on way. STEM activities provide students with opportunities to create and build but also solve problems. They are solving problems they may be working on one day when they are older. It takes learning and applies it to the real world. The best way to make learning relevant is to apply it to the real world and everyday challenges that we face. This project will help provide these experiences to kindergarten students in a way that is at their level.
- Student Population: These students attend an IB PYP school where we focus on making learning inquiry based. We want to students to be lifelong learners and participate in learning that provides a global perspective. By providing more STEM activities we are encourage more inquiry based hands on learning that is trans disciplinary.