- Project Cost: $250
- Funded to Date: $250 Fully Funded!
- Online Until: May 4, 2018
- Teacher Name: Brooke Evans
- School: Carver Middle School
- Grade Level: 6-8 - Cooking Club
Cooking Club is a new student engagement club for students to experience hands on learning in an environment outside of the traditional classroom. Our club is brand new and we would like to get some kitchen equipment and student aprons for those students who are a part of the club. These students come from all grades and backgrounds with a common interest in learning to cook healthy.
- Planned Use for Funds: We plan to use these supplies to engage students who might otherwise find school insignificant or unimportant. Allowing students to explore their passions in a safe environment with adult supervision and and guidance is important. Being in the kitchen involves intense use of math skills such as conversion, multiplication, division and revision. Reading skills and communication skills are also of great importance. All of these skills are important to creating well rounded and engaged students through relevant and personal explorations.
- Need Represented: This club engages a variety of students in a variety of tasks. The need is to get students involved in extra curricular activities at a low and manageable cost is of huge importance. Students get to see math, reading and science in a hands on environment that answers the age-old question: "When will we ever use this?!"
- Academic Impact: This project will help students of all abilities feel that they are a part of Carver. Reading skills and math skills are a huge part of successful cooking. Students will learn to read directions, change measurements, research recipes and come up with solutions as problems present themselves in the kitchen.
- Student Population: 15-30 kids are a member of cooking club. Membership grows on a monthly basis. All students grades 6-8 are welcome to join.