- Project Cost: $1000
- Funded to Date: $1050
- Teacher Name: Nathan Cornelius
- School: Kickapoo High School
- Grade Level: 9-12 Vocal Music
The Kickapoo Choir and Orchestra will perform a combined Masterwork for Choir and Orchestra. The project will be developed and led by students with the guidance of the choir and orchestra directors in a Project Based Learning format. The final product of which will be a public performance of the work “Dreamweaver” by Ola Gjeilo. This project will have a direct impact on the education of hundreds of students at Kickapoo High School.
- Planned Use for Funds: The funds from this project will be used to purchase the music that the orchestra and choir will perform in the culminating concert of the unit in February. The total cost for all music will be approximately $2000.
- Need Represented: Our music budget for the vocal and orchestral departments at Kickapoo will not facilitate spending this amount on one performance. However, the educational value of this project is too great to not produce for our students.
- Academic Impact: As a Project Based Learning unit our students will entertain the question "How is a professional concert produced from nothing to a final performance?" Students will consider the needs of producing the concert, costs, music, rehearsals, staging, lighting, sound engineering, tickets design, ticket sales, ushers, publicity posters, publicity social media, video promos, and all other aspects of the production of a professional event. All areas of production will be student led and student developed. The culminating event will be a public performance of the music that was planned and developed by Kickapoo students.
- Student Population: Kickapoo High School is a student population of 1,950 students. The music department is comprised of approximately 500 Kickapoo students in the Bands, Choirs, and orchestras.