- Project Cost: $512.00
- Funded to Date: $512 Fully Funded!
- Online Until: December 26, 2017
- Teacher Name: Michelle Cameron
- School: Jeffries Elementary
- Grade Level: Elementary ELL
Sight words can be challenging, but even more so for English Learners. This kit incorporates pictures within the words and provides movement as a physical cue for students. This will increase comprehension, address reading fluency and make learning fun. We will be motivated to learn how sight words work in sentences, which will help our writing and speaking skills. There are lots of activities that will help us to learn to read and listen too! We plan on sharing with our English learning friends in other buildings, so they can learn sight words too.
- Planned Use for Funds: We'd like to buy a classroom kit of all of the snapwords (607) with activities. This will allow us to do sight words mini lessons with all of our English learners. We plan on sharing the kit between several teachers, which will further impact learning throughout the district.
- Need Represented: English Learners may need extra assistance when learning to read, because they are often learning to speak English at the same time. This will help fill that gap. This will help boost students' speaking, listening and writing skills as well.
- Academic Impact: Reading comprehension will increase, giving our students better access to grade level curriculum. Speaking, listening and writing skills will be positively impacted as well. Sight words can make up 80-90% of the text that children are exposed to. This project should translate directly into increased academic achievement.
- Student Population: Jeffries Elementary has about 40 English Learners, over half of whom are in the beginning stages of English language proficiency. Over 9 different languages are spoken by our students. Sharing with our friends at Twain and Harrison will enable an additional 75 students to benefit from this project.
- Items in this Project:
Snapwords Complete Classroom set: $464.95
Shipping and Handling (10%): $46.50