- Project Cost: $533.83
- Teacher Name: Genevieve A Kroenke
- School: Bingham
- Grade Level: Art k-5th grade
At Bingham Elementary I have started an after school art club in order to build relationships with students. By hosting an art club my goal is to provide opportunities and experiences for students who wouldn’t normally have these opportunities. We meet every Friday for an hour and a half. Some of the artwork will be donated to local organizations.
- Planned Use for Funds: Students will be using the supplies to create artwork. We will be experimenting with such processes as Batik, Paint Pouring, and even sewing. Each semester we will be doing at least one project to give back to our community. We will be donating them to local organizations such as a nursing home and a non-profit children's charity.
- Need Represented: This club is not sponsored by any other organization, no supplies or stipends are provided. Most of the supplies needed for the planned projects will need to be provided within the school-year art budget or purchased by the teacher. This grant would help provide students with much needed supplies and tools to use in the art.
- Academic Impact: This year as a staff we have been going through trauma informed training as a part of our professional learning. The one thing that we keep hearing is students with trauma need positive relationships built in order to thrive academically and in their lives outside of school. Though we may not be able to visibly see it immediately, building relationships with these students will help with academics in the long run. Last year Bingham had a high percentage of discipline referrals, my hope is that by building relationships with some of these students that number will decrease.
- Student Population: Bingham is a title one school and has approximately 80% free and reduced and a 69% mobility rate.