- Project Cost: $1000
- Teacher Name: Nicole Bueno and Kale Kilgo
- School: Glendale High School
- Grade Level: 9-12
This is a collaboration between Glendale Library and Architecture and Design Academy to create a Community Free Library for the Glendale High School community. The Architecture and Design Academy will plan, design, and create a unique free library unit that can be accessed by all community patrons in the Glendale and SPS area. The library and Glendale Service organizations will be stewards of the community library stocking, maintaining and requesting on-going donations of books.
- Planned Use for Funds: The funds will be utilized to establish and build a free access standing library container outside Glendale High School for all the community to access 24/7.
- Need Represented: At Glendale, it is important to build community and strengthen neighborhood connections. It is important for all our future and current students to have literacy connections within their community. We have many families in our area that are dependent on public transportation and do not have access to local libraries. We are trying to provide 24/7 access to information and materials to our community and promote a sense of community through literacy. Also, the building of this 24/7 Library box would allow students to explore the design field and work toward making design decisions for a building plan. These students will have the opportunity to work with other pathway students for the purpose of creating structures from plans to finished product.
- Academic Impact: Academically, children growing up in homes without books are on average three years behind children in homes with lots of books, even when controlled for other key factors. (M.D.R Evans et al, Research in Social Stratification and Mobility, June 2010). One of the most successful ways to improve the reading achievement of children is to increase their access to books, especially at home. But 61% of low-income families do not have any age-appropriate books for their kids at home. This community library will provide an essential role by providing 24/7 equitable access to books (and encouraging a love of reading and knowledge) in households where books are scarce and unaffordable. Also, it is our goal for our Architecture & Design academy to participate in authentic work-based experiences, and develop content knowledge and skills for future careers.
- Student Population: Our student population has a 40 percent free and reduced population with a diverse socio-economic population. We are an academy school and our mission is to develop personally-driven, community-focused, and globally connected leaders in our community.