- Project Cost: $600.00
- Funded to Date: $370
- Online Until: January 10, 2018
- Teacher Name: Sheri Butts
- School: Westport Middle School
- Grade Level: 6th-8th/Cooking Club
This project is a cooking club for students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade. It is an after school activity targeting students who are not traditionally involved in school extra curricular activities. The plan is for approximately 15 students to participate. Some of the learning objectives will be 1. Learning the proper method to safely prepare and store food. 2. Learn how to follow a written recipe. 3. Learn how to use measuring utensils correctly. 4. Learn proper food presentation. 5. Learn appropriate social skills related to preparing, hosting and consuming food in a social setting. 6. Staying within a food budget.
- Planned Use for Funds: The funds will be used to purchase ingredients for food preparation. The students will learn to stay on budget when deciding on menu items to cook. The plan is $200 per quarter to use for the acquisition of cooking ingredients. During each meeting the students will plan what they would like to cook during their next meeting, find the recipe(s), and make a shopping list of ingredients. All while staying within the Cooking Club's budget of $200 per quarter.
- Need Represented: The need to provide cooking ingredients for the Cooking Club. Without ingredients to cook with there would be no cooking club.
- Academic Impact: The students in the cooking club will learn how to budget money for groceries. Learn how to measure ingredients for a recipe. They will learn how to appropriately interact socially with peers in a setting. They will learn how to safely prepare and store food. They will also increase their functional reading skills as it relates to reading a recipe. All of these skills will positively impact these students as they make their way through adulthood.
- Student Population: The student population are students with 91% free and reduced lunch. This is a title I school. We do have some homeless students or students who live in pay by the week hotels.
- Items in this Project:
$200 worth of ingredients for each quarter: $600
- *Note: The plan is for the student's for decide what to cook each club meeting. The plan would be to stay within $200 per quarter (9 weeks). However, some examples are: purchase ingredients to make pizza for 15 students: $19.35. Purchase ingredients to make Lasagna for 15 students: $29.32. Purchase ingredients to make smoothies for 15 students: $18.00